Monday, February 21, 2011

Fibre Painting Frenzy!!!

Lately, this past week, I have went on a fibre painting binge!  I was asked to dye a skein of mine that was up for sale on my Etsy, as a custom "pick-your-color" handspun, and I decided to reach in my fibre bin and dye some extra.  I was completely inspired by the movie The Runaways with Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning about Joan Jett and Cherie Curry.  I tend to stick with one color way per ~2oz of fiber, because I seem to get bored with continuous color.  Here are photos of soon-to-be handspun yarn!


100% Tussah Silk
I hope it looks prettier spun!
Planning to add beads as I spin it!


50% Alpaca   50% Silk


50% Alpaca  50% Silk


100% Tussah Silk


50% Merino  50%Silk


50%  Merino  30% Silk  20% Angora


50% Merino  50%Silk



So after watching The Runaways,  I have looked into how to add beads to my fiber as I spin it, instead of adding beads while knitting or crocheting.  I am so excited about this, but to test this out before fuzzing up good fiber, I took the rest of my stash of carbonized bamboo to try this out.  Ok, ok ok. I LOVE bamboo yarn, at least commercial yarn, but spinning bamboo is a different story. It just may be the fact that it is carbonized bamboo, this is the first bamboo I have ever spun, but the reviews on the carbonized bamboo were saying it was like spinning gold- in my opinion that is far from the truth.  It is squeaky and snags on everything.  Do NOT spin this if you have any hangnails or jewelry on!  It easily tangles. Moving on...
Well, maybe adding beads will make the bamboo alot better for me. :)
Basically the process of adding beads in the spun yarn is super easy, but very tedious.  You'll need to have a very large eye beading needle.  You could make one with glue or tape and fishing line.  It simply looks like a big threading needle, bendy and not sharp.  All you do, is make a bunch of these small fiber strips and bead them, and when you're ready to spin, spin with regular fiber and then simply add these in.  Make sure you're drafting them so your yarn will be even, unless you want thicker yarn where the bead will be. 


I can not wait to spin these colored fibres and the beaded fibre!  As for the wedding dress yarn and the crocheted monokini... they're still a work in progress!  

No comments:

Post a Comment