Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hand Paint Roving or Yarn Tutorial

Aloha!  I'm sorry it has been such a while since I've last written ano entry.  I have been working my butt off trying to add more inventory to my Etsy shop, and take care of my husband who has been having tons of dentistry work and acts like a big baby.  So, this being my first tutorial, I hope you like it! I also will have a  video tutorial up tomorrow.  I just decided to do a photo tutorial for those who can't view videos, yes there are still people out there who don't get youtube (like my dad!).

Supplies

  • Plastic Wrap
  • Veggie Steamer
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Turkey Baster, Surenge, or Paint Brush
  • Trash Pot
  • Acid Dye ( I love Jacquard Acid Dyes- I bought a set of 15 from Sheepish Creations on Etsy )
  • Vinegar
  • Mason Jars
  • Cheap plastic cups
  • Newspaper
  • Dawn Soap

Roll your roving into neat balls.
If you are dying yarn, make sure you weave scrap yarn and secure around the skein to insure no tangeled mess!



Ok! So fill the sink with the hottest water possible from faucet, and soak roving or yarn about an hour.


Meanwhile, while your fiber soaks, lay out newspaper and strips of plastic wrap.
Look up your acid dye stock solution recipe (water per oz. dye ratio with vinegar), and store your dye stock solution in mason jars. I added vinegar to my plastic cups, and the dyes I was using. This makes it easy to lighten/darken dyes or create a custom color.



When fiber or yarn is done soaking for an hour, lay in out on the strips of plastic wrap.


Apply dyes with turkey baster, surenge or brush.  Be sure that the dyes soak through all the fiber.



I usually keep a paper towel handy to test my dye on first.




When it's all dyed, fold the sides of the plastic wrap over the fiber, and roll up like a burrito!



Place in the trashy pot with the vegetable steamer, with just enough water peaking through the holes at the bottom. And steam for about an hour, I leave a lid half way on, and keep the stove burner on about a 7 on a 0-10 scale.  Half way through I have to add more water.
 

When an hour is up, I take my tongs and place the rolls in the sink full of hot hot water and dawn soap.  I let it sit 15 minutes at a time, until the water runs clean.  Then, take an old towel and roll up the fiber to get most of the water out.  Hang to dry outside or in the shower.  Be sure to rotate hanging pieces to ensure no weak spots and to help quicken drying process.


If you have any questions, email me- RickiKellyStudio@gmail.com

Happy Dyeing!

1 comment:

  1. Do you take the plastic wrap off before you place in hot water in sink? I'm thinking so, but want to be sure.

    ReplyDelete